Help for ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

ARSCLIB Home

ARSCLIB  June 2019

ARSCLIB June 2019

Article recently published: Chemistry for Audio Heritage Preservation: A Review of Analytical Techniques for Audio Magnetic Tapes

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Jun 2019 17:31:02 -0400

I would like to let you know of a newly published open-access article
(that means no paywall!) in the MDPI Journal "Heritage"

And, as they say, please excuse the cross posting.

https://www.mdpi.com/2571-9408/2/2/97
"Chemistry for Audio Heritage Preservation: A Review of Analytical
Techniques for Audio Magnetic Tapes"

"...The aim of this review is to collect the literature concerning the
analytical determinations and instrumental approaches that can achieve
the chemical identification of the components in the tape and the
degradation state....."

This paper was the brainchild of Dr. Federica Bressan who I met at the
AES Archiving Conference at the Library of Congress in Culpeper, VA, a
year ago. She brought together two of her chemistry colleagues from the
University of Padua (Padova) and I became a link between users and
researchers.

We hope this article provides useful information and pointers additional
useful information. The more one analyzes magnetic tapes, the more
complex they seem to become due to chemical interactions among the
various components. This article has different levels of accessibility,
which was intentional, in order to be useful to a wide range of readers.

Here are some notes about the authors:

Dr. Federica Bressan is a Fulbright scholar and Marie Curie alumna.
Currently she is a postdoctoral researcher at Ghent University, Belgium,
and appointed Professor of Digital Humanities at the University of Nova
Gorica, Slovenia. She holds an MD in Musicology and a PhD in Computer
Science. The vision underlying her research concerns the co-evolution of
technology and culture. Her main expertise is in the field of multimedia
preservation, with a special attention for audio and interactivity. She
is active in science popularization, and she is the host of the podcast
Technoculture (http://technoculture-podcast.com/). More info at:
http://research.federicabressan.com

Dr. Roberta Bertani is, since 1988, an Associated Professor in Chemical
Bases of Technologies at the School of Engineering (University of Padua)
teaching chemistry and applied chemistry for different Courses
(Informatics, Material, Mechanical, Aerospace, Electronics and Civil
Engineering). She is co-author of more than 200 scientific papers,
included patents, in the fields of organometallic chemistry, catalysis,
fluorinated materials, analytical chemistry, new materials and polymers.

Dr. Paolo Sgarbossa is Associate Professor at the Department of
Industrial Engineering at the University of Padua since June 2015. He is
currently responsible for the Strategic Investment Project SID2017 of
the Department of Industrial Engineering (University of Padua) on
“Dielectric Magnetic Composites: Tailored Ferrite Nanoparticles in
Composites for Plasma Source Applications”.

I have worked in broadcast engineering (with my BS in communications)
starting at ABC-TV in 1975, joining McCurdy Radio as Director of
Engineering in 1981, and working at National TeleConsultants 1983-2004,
where I ended up as Principal Consultant. Since 2004, I have run my own
audio tape restoration business.

Cheers,

Richard