Help for ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

ARSCLIB Home

ARSCLIB  June 2020

ARSCLIB June 2020

Statement from the ARSC Board Opposing Racism and Police Brutality

Rebecca Chandler <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Jun 2020 17:53:47 -0400

The recent killings and acts of police brutality against Black Americans
serve as horrifying reminders that racism is not only still here, but it is
systemic, affecting all aspects of our lives. The Association for Recorded
Sound Collections stands in support of, and in service to, our Black
members, as well as those in the community at large who face violence and
oppression every single day. Today we remember George Floyd, Breonna
Taylor, Tony McDade, Ahmaud Arbery, Manuel Ellis, and countless others who
have lost their lives.

ARSC is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation and study of
sound recordings in all genres of music and speech, in all formats, and
from all periods. Black voices and music are intrinsically part of the
fabric of our shared recorded sound heritage; it is imperative that those
in places of privilege and ability speak out in solidarity against violence
and inequity faced by Black, Indigenous, and other people of color and,
when possible, follow through with actions.

ARSC is committed to seek out ways to improve our own operations. We need
to do the work to make us better allies and advocates for the Black members
of our community of librarians, archivists, scholars, collectors,
musicians, and technicians. To that end, here are a few initiatives we plan
to pursue in the near future:

   -

   Members of ARSC's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee have been
   drafting and developing the ARSC Code of Conduct, which is now approaching
   its final feedback and revision stages. The adoption of such a document is
   long overdue and we apologize to our members for its delay.
   -

   We will investigate new ways to introduce inclusivity into our programs,
   conferences, committees, and organizational culture.
   -

   We will implement bias training for all board members and committee
   chairs. This training will also be available to all members who wish to
   participate.
   -

   We will continue discussions and conversations around these issues and
   will strive to listen to and learn from one another's experiences.

We invite you all to join us in these efforts to better ourselves and ARSC.
We welcome constructive conversation and look forward to working with you
to prove to our community that ARSC believes that Black Lives Matter.

Further Resources:

   -

   ARSC’s Anti-Harassment Policy (to be replaced by the forthcoming ARSC
   Code of Conduct): http://www.arsc-audio.org/pdf/AntiHarassmentPolicy.pdf
   -

   American Library Association’s Keeping Up With… Microaggressions:
   http://www.ala.org/acrl/publications/keeping_up_with/microaggressions
   -

   Anti-racism resources, compiled by Sarah Sophie Flicker, Alyssa Klein:
   bit.ly/ANTIRACISMRESOURCES
   -

   Archives for Black Lives in Philadelphia Anti-Racist Description
   Resources:
   https://archivesforblacklives.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/ardr_final.pdf
   -

   The Inclusive Historian’s Handbook: https://inclusivehistorian.com/
   -

   Justice in June, compiled by Autumn Gupta:
   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H-Vxs6jEUByXylMS2BjGH1kQ7mEuZnHpPSs1Bpaqmw0/preview?ts=5ed80bb9&pru=AAABcqP4A5w*DMiBNq9BcrcWyWNCQld8DA

   -

   National Museum of African American History and Culture’s Talking About
   Race web portal:
   https://nmaahc.si.edu/about/news/national-museum-african-american-history-and-culture-releases-talking-about-race-web

   -

   We Here LLC: https://www.wehere.space/
   -

   Robin DiAngelo’s Why "I'm Not Racist" Is Only Half The Story:
   https://youtu.be/kzLT54QjclA
   -

   WITNESS’ Community-Based Approaches to Archives From the Black Lives
   Matter Movement:
   https://blog.witness.org/2015/09/community-based-approaches-to-archives-from-the-black-lives-matter-movement/

--

Rebecca Chandler

New York | Wisconsin | Florida | Wyoming

917-475-9630
https://weareavp.com <https://www.weareavp.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/WeAreAVP> <https://twitter.com/WeAreAVP>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/732498/>