Help for ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

ARSCLIB Home

ARSCLIB  March 2019

ARSCLIB March 2019

Re: Research questions re: live orchestra recordings from the 1950s

Jeffrey Willens <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Mar 2019 10:39:04 -0400

Joseph,
For the AFM labor issues and Petrillo, try contacting a librarian at New
York University's Wagner Labor Archives.

http://library.nyu.edu/locations/the-tamiment-library-robert-f-wagner-labor-archives/

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:00 AM ARSCLIB automatic digest system <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> There is 1 message totaling 62 lines in this issue.
>
> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. Research questions re: live orchestra recordings from the 1950s

> Date:    Wed, 20 Mar 2019 13:09:04 -0700
> From:    Joseph Gallucci <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Research questions re: live orchestra recordings from the 1950s
>
> Hello, ARSC!
>
> My name is Joseph Gallucci and I am the Project Archivist at the Los
> Angeles Philharmonic Archives. I'm hoping to engage the collective
> expertise of the ARSC listserv to ask for assistance with an upcoming
> exhibition at the Hollywood Bowl Museum that we're working on which is
> slated to open in Summer 2019. The exhibition focuses on the LA Phil's
> unique collection of live concert recordings from the Hollywood Bowl which
> were recorded between 1954-1959.
>
> We are interested in any information you can provide about the following
> questions:
>
> 1. Aside from the LA Phil did any other orchestras record live performance
> audio in the 1950s? I'm aware of the Standard Symphony Hour and the SF
> Symphony and LA Phil's participation in that program, but I'm keen to know
> which other US orchestras either recorded their own performances during
> this time period or partnered with local radio stations to broadcast their
> concerts. Furthermore, which equipment/techniques would have been used to
> produce these recordings, and was this work coordinated by someone on
> staff? We have reached out to a number of symphony orchestras around the
> country with this question but I wanted to throw this out here as well.
> Please note we're interested particularly in live performances and not
> commercially-released studio recordings.
>
> 2. There's a chronological gap in our recordings around the summer of 1958
> where it seems no concerts were recorded. We have one (untested) theory
> that this gap may have had something to do with the American Federation of
> Musicians' strike against film studios in 1958. Does anyone have any more
> details about how musicians' unions impacted symphony orchestras' abilities
> to record or broadcast their own concerts during this time period?
>
> 3. Does anyone know if James Petrillo, one-time President of the AFM,
> deposited his archives anywhere? We've reached out to both the LA and NYC
> AFM offices, but are wondering if his personal papers might exist in
> another institution.
>
> 4. Does anyone have insight into, or can point to any writing on the
> subject of the configuration/design of 1/4" audio tape reels? By which I
> mean the plastic or metal reel the tape sits on, not the tape itself. I'm
> interested in the physical composition of reels as well as their designs
> (windowing, sprockets, etc). If anyone has any insight into the above as it
> pertains to reels which were widely used in the 1950s, that would be
> especially helpful.

> [...]

*Jeff Willens**Sound Engineer*

Special Collections and Preservation Services
*The New York Public Library*
40 Lincoln Center Plaza, Room C-03
New York, NY 10023

T: 212.870.1610 <(212)%20870-1610> | F: 212.870.1812 <(212)%20870-1812> |