ARSCLIST  January 2008

ARSCLIST January 2008

Re: Pancake horror story

Scott Phillips <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:49:37 -0600

Another reason to ship by the fastest way possible is that the
recordings (tape, disk, whatever) will not spend 4 days on either an
unheated loading dock being rained or snowed on, and in the summer won't
sit in 100+ degree 95% humidity degree sunshine waiting for shipment any
more than they have to....

I'd also second the notion that keeping the weight down makes handling
more likely to be gentle. My own experience is not to use peanuts as
packing material, even in the box within a box situation. Using heavy
bubble wrap with no real space for things to shift works best for me.
Otherwise the box in the center with the recordings in it acts like a
pendulum inside the outer box every time it is dropped. Peanuts just
allow too much movement, settle, and have static electricity problems.

Years ago I worked for Sony in QA, and in packaging drop tests for new
products it became clear that contrary to what would seem to be common
sense, making the packed object and the packaging seem like one mass by
holding it securely centered in the packaging with very little give
produced much lower gee forces than allowing 'soft' packaging. The key
was both fairly rigid packing materials that kept the shape of what was
packed, allowed as little shifting as possible, and allowed enough space
around the centrally packed item to protect from damage from outside
protrusion. Bubble wrapping in both the inner and outer boxes fits the
bill nicely for most things.

Just my 1.75 cents.... :>)