ARSCLIST  September 2017

ARSCLIST September 2017

Re: Major tape recorder brands

Dennis Rooney <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 3 Sep 2017 11:08:06 -0400

Having used two PR-10s in the late sixties, I heartily agree with Lou
Judson's condemnation of it, electronics or no. The failure rate of those
units matched their poor performance. The model and the almost coeval
U-Matic mag disc machine were significant players in fatally damaging
Amex's reputation as professional gear. They were, frankly, regarded as a
joke.

All Ampex electronics required some modification;  An engineer I worked
with built his own for use in an AG-440. Many famous recordings were made
with the Ampex 300-2 but no nostalgia for the gear of that vintage, please.

DDR

--
1006 Langer Way
Delray Beach, FL 33483