ARSCLIST  August 2005

ARSCLIST August 2005

Re: More on cataloging

"Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:30:46 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
> I also wonder...19.8 terabytes does not seem to me as overwhelming a
> notion as it did even five years ago...let's see now...that would be about
> 20 HVD's right? And then if we have refined the high resolution scanning
> (Haber and Fadeyev) process we could get it all done rather
> quickly...except maybe for the cataloging?

The first problem is establishing how many 78's (or phonorecords in
general?) currently "live" in accessible (participating institutions
and individual collectors) compared to how many DON'T and thus may be
lost to posterity?

Meanwhile, we standardize a "core" set of data fields, which could also
include an equivalent set of discographic data fields...then we can see
both how many phonorecords are "MIA" and how many more we lack essential
data for?

I think David Diehl may have some of this latter information on
his web site...

Steven C. Barr