Thanks for those comment, Lou, which I completely agree with. It makes no sense, at this point, to go forward with this conference.
In addition to the obvious risks of getting sick, what concerns me almost as much is the possibility that the border could close while we're up there. Then what do we do? I have no interest in taking that chance. Even if the conference happens, I am leaning strongly toward not going, and will delay a decision on registration until the last minute. I am hoping that the decision will be made for me, and I would bet that I'm not alone.
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Lou Judson
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2020 2:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [ARSCLIST] Statement on COVID-19 and ARSC 2020 Conference in Montréal
I have been starting to wonder if a month is long enough to close venues and hope it all goes away.
Travel bans are irrelevant - gatherings of hundreds of strangers is the issue!
Here in California, most gatherings have been cancelled for the next month. I think June would be safer than April or May. BUT it could last longer than that.
I am so glad most of my work is alone in my studio. And all the public venues where I do sound have been closed, for a month.
I would not expect them to be open in April or May at this point… we shall see.
> On Mar 13, 2020, at 11:04 AM, Nathan Georgitis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Statement on COVID-19 and ARSC 2020 Conference in Montréal
> The ARSC Board of Directors is closely monitoring the progression and implications of the coronavirus COVID-19, including travel advisories issued by the United States and Canada. The health and safety of our conference attendees is our highest priority.
> At present no travel alerts have been issued for Canada, and we are moving forward with the conference as scheduled. A full statement from the ARSC Board with additional information may be found on the conference website: