ARSCLIST  October 2012

ARSCLIST October 2012

ARSC Kansas City

"Sistrunk, Wendy" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Oct 2012 17:38:14 +0000

Hi, All,

The WWI Museum is listed on the ARSC 2013 flyer, along with MANY other sites of interest (http://www.arsc-audio.org/conference/pdf/ARSC-2013Flyer.pdf).  Checking the "second" page of the flyer, you will note that all of the sites listed are hot-linked, so no need to search to find their web sites.  We are in the process of adding content about the conference on the ARSC site (maps, directions, transportation, etc.), so do not worry.

Looking forward to seeing you all in K.C.!

Best,
Wendy

Wendy Sistrunk, Chair
Local Arrangements Committee
ARSC 2013 Conference

- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Wendy Sistrunk, Librarian III
Head, Special Formats Metadata and Cataloging
University of Missouri--Kansas City
Miller Nichols Library, 5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499
phone: (816) 235-5291   fax: (816) 333-5584
http://s.web.umkc.edu/sistrunkw/
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ryan Barna
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2012 11:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] ARSC Kansas City

If anyone is going to the ARSC conference in Kansas City next year, I would highly recommend visiting the National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial. I was surprised to find that it was not listed as one of the local attractions in the outreach email, yet it's closer to the Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza than almost all of the other attractions they listed (the only exception is the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art). World War I has always been one of my absolute favorite historical subjects during my years of collecting and researching acoustic sound recordings (that, and the Titanic). The museum has sound booths where visitors can listen to period recordings. If my memory is correct, there is also an Edison Army Navy Diamond Disc phonograph on display that had seen better days. But even if you're slightly fond of Cohan's "Over There," you'll enjoy this. I don't know if there is public transportation to it (although if you're coming by Amtrak, it's in walking distance from the station). It's almost 3 miles north of the Marriott. If you can find any time to squeeze in during the conference, most people can walk and casually browse through the museum in an hour (but if you're a big fan of the period like me, and want to digest everything, three hours is barely enough). Their website is www.theworldwar.org. -Ryan