]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ARSCLIST Home

ARSCLIST  March 2015

ARSCLIST March 2015

Re: Distressing data point for upcoming ARSC tape playback workshop

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Mar 2015 11:58:27 -0500

text/plain

Hi, Corey,

What an informative post. Thanks. Thanks also for the credit, but I have
to credit Friedrich Engel.

As to Naptha and Hexane: they are very similar. As you are undoubtedly
familiar from grade-school science, petroleum is segregated (fractioned)
by weight in "fractioning towers" (or at least that's how I recall it
from the 1950s/1960s). The different length molecules have different
weights. This is just another form of distillation, I think.

This Wikipedia article has a good description (it appears accurate or at
least plausible) about the different types of naphtha.

The brand of choice for me has been Ronsonol but now that Zippo has
bought them, they claim "no more naphtha" but, considering the use of
the word, I think it's as much a marketing ploy as a chemical analysis.

Here is a pre-Zippo data sheet:

http://www.ronson.com/en/Safety%20Data%20Sheet%20Ronsonol%20Lighter%20Fluid%20Mar02.pdf

Chemical composition : blend of aliphatic hydrocarbons

Name 			CAS No 		Content %
Xylene 			1330 – 20 – 7 	1 – 5
Propylbenzene 		98 – 82 – 8 	0 – 1
n-heptane 		142 – 82 – 5 	10 – 30
mesitylene 		108 – 67 – 8 	0 – 1
1,2,4-trimethylbenzene 	95 – 63 – 6 	0 – 1
n-hexane 		110 – 54 – 3 	1 - 5

The Pennsylvania Right to Know law statement on the last page of this
http://secure.cooperbooth.com/datasheets/160606.pdf
is also of interest.

This article more clearly states that naphtha is an intermediate
distillation product.
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Naphtha

"Naphtha is known by various names, depending on its source,
composition, uses, and manufacturing company. Some names include
ligroin, VM&P Naphtha (Varnish Makers and Painter's Naphtha,[1] Benzin,
petroleum naphtha, petroleum spirits, and naphtha ASTM. Another name is
shellite (Australia)—also known as white gas (North America), white
spirit, or Coleman fuel—which is a white liquid with a hydrocarbon odor.
Given its high flammability and low flashpoint (less than -30 °C), it is
used in many low-pressure camping stoves. Ronsonol is a brand name used
in North America and is marketed as a refill fluid for cigarette lighters."

"Naphtha is obtained in petroleum refineries as one of the intermediate
products from the distillation of crude oil. It is a liquid intermediate
between the light gases in the crude oil and the heavier liquid
kerosene. Naphthas are volatile, flammable and have a specific gravity
of about 0.7. The generic name naphtha describes a range of different
refinery intermediate products used in different applications. To
further complicate the matter, similar naphtha types are often referred
to by different names."

So, I think it is convenient if you think of a huge column (let's say 50
feet tall) of petroleum products, with very light ones on top and sludge
on the bottom. Then perhaps Naphtha is considered 10 feet of that column
in the upper middle. Hexane would maybe be 6 inches of the column.

I'm making this up, but this mental model helps me understand the
differences of what we are talking about. I, too, have had Hexane
recommended to me. Serious chemists use hexane, shop mechanics use
naphtha <smile>.

Personally, I buy Ronsonol and I think it's still available here in Canada.

As to cleaning moldy tapes, I use a dilute chlorine bleach solution as
it is my understanding that chlorine will really do in the mold. Instead
of the hand-winding arrangement, I use an older Sony APR_5000 which I
keep in the garage for that purpose.

I use a NIOSH two-cartridge respirator and gloves.

Cheers,

Richard