ARSCLIST  January 2016

ARSCLIST January 2016

Re: Cleaning stylus

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Jan 2016 20:02:53 -0500

Hi Lou:

There is a lower-cost machine from VPI where you clean the record and the machine does the
vacuuming, in other words it doesn't have a brush-arm to do the scrubbing. That is as low as I would
go on cleaning records, I don't see an alternative to the vacuum. There are DIY guides to making a
vacuum cleaning system using a shopvac, but I would never use those contraptions on my records.

Bottom line, if you don't clean out the grooves, you'll get more pops and ticks and distortion than
you should, you won't get the best sound out of the record. Plus, you'll wear down your stylus and
grind that grime into what's left of the grooves, thus destroying any potential sale value of the
records. I don't see an alternative to a vacuum removal of cleaning fluid and grime.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lou Judson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:42 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Cleaning stylus

Tom, my record cleaning and playing is almost exclusively just making personal digital copies of my
own Lps - what would you suggest for routine cleaning of casual transfers? Anyone else can chime in
as well.

Investing in an expensive machine for cleaning my old records is just not feasible. I only want to
hear them again! :-)
<L>
Lou Judson
Intuitive Audio