ARSCLIST  October 2013

ARSCLIST October 2013

Re: a prime case of why subjective reviews of audio gear are USELESS

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 Oct 2013 12:11:44 -0400

Hi Carl:

You're highlighting a key aspect of the analog vs. digital jihad that is still going on. Some people
like and expect really colored (distorted, scientific term) sound.  Those people tend to hate all
things digital and vehemently tout "purer" and "organic" analog technologies, especially grooved
disks. Yet, any sort of testing for output=input can show many different ways that a modern
high-quality digital chain will always be more accurate. The vehement digital advocates will dismiss
the analog advocates as tin-eared folks who love harmonic distortion and time-smearing with their
music.

Then there's the whole philosophical argument, going back to Gordon Holt and Harry Pearson, about
what's "absolute sound"? It seems to be something different to anyone who listens carefully, but
Harry actually did put in words some descriptions never articulated that way before. One thing is
for sure -- "absolute sound" is by nature very subjective and therefore most scientific measurements
only get around the edges of quantifying it. That being the case, I'm not sure of the use of reams
of paper used to publicly debate subjective topics from different perspectives. Can any perseptual
aspect of human life be described in absolute terms?

-- Tom Fine