ARSCLIST  May 2010

ARSCLIST May 2010

Re: Sonny Stitt Roost records discography wanted

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 May 2010 10:13:40 -0400

Hi Michel:

I really thing this is a sweeping statement you made:
"the ordering of items in an  album was generally made by the producer,not the artist."

Yes, in some cases, artists had little interest in the final commercially-released product beyond
what they did at the session, so how it was sequenced and packaged was left up to the producer. But
more often, it was a collaboration, starting with decisions about what sort of material would be
recorded (pre-session decisions), which takes were acceptable (during sessions and playbacks),
sometimes editing decisions if several takes were strung together (this became more common in the
60's onward), and then the final sequence/groove to the thing. Jazz artists were, in general, less
activist in these matters than rock artists but both became more involved as the LP era progressed.
Different artists had differerent levels of involvement, but I think at least as often as not they
had interest and input as to what takes were used and in what sequence they were presented.

You are correct that "recordings" in and of themselves are different from final released commercial
products, they are only part of the final whole.

-- Tom Fine