EAD December 2013

Re: EAD Work Placements

"Bowers, Kate A." <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 Dec 2013 20:06:56 +0000

I would like very much to encourage learning EAD!  It could be a question of vocabulary, but  "work placement"  might be a bit difficult due to legal differences between the UK and US.  However, I think you may be able to "volunteer."

Work placement is not a term in use on this side of the pond, so I read about it here http://www.thebigchoice.com/Placements/Advice/What_is_a_Work_Placement.html and here http://www.prospects.ac.uk/work_experience_work_placements.htm

It appears to be somewhat equivalent to "internship" (that is, short-term unpaid labor in the field associated with a degree- or certificate-granting program), but your question implies that they are not the same.  Perhaps a definition would be "post-graduate skilled unpaid work"?  Many US institutions do have volunteer programs, although mine does not.  Here's the Smithsonian Institution's volunteer page which includes a mention of archives: http://www.si.edu/Volunteer/Behind-the-Scenes-Volunteer

Another hiccup may be that unpaid labor not associated with an educational program may lead US institutions to question that they might run afoul of federal or state labor laws. This brief article explains: http://www.nonprofitrisk.org/library/articles/employment010208.shtml

Best of luck!  Please let the list know how you get on!

Kate

From: Encoded Archival Description List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of <Andrew Young> [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:21 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EAD] EAD Work Placements

Hi everyone,

This is a bit of a longshot but I was wondering if anybody out there knows of
any archival institutions in the US that offer work placements (as opposed to
internships) focussing on EAD. I would very much like to gain some practical,
hands-on experience using EAD, because it's not a skill that is typically
taught on archives courses in the UK (where I'm based), but I can only find
job postings on the internet for internships affiliated with US universities
and colleges. As I'm already a qualified archivist I highly doubt that I'd be
eligible to apply for any of the advertised positions, so I was hoping to
identify a suitable work placement programme as an alternative. If anyone can
offer me any pointers or guidance I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks, and a happy new year.

Andy Young