EAD April 1996

Re: Scope and Content Note subsections

David Clough <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Apr 1996 17:24:11 -0500

Anne,

there are at least a couple of ways of tagging your subsection headings in the existing DTD
structure so that they could easily appear in a navigator. You'll have to decide if you're
happy with either of the two I detail below.

One way you could do it is to have a separate <scopecontent> tag for each of your subsections,
each with its own heading. The DTD allows as many <scopecontent> tags as you like within <
archdesc>. This would look something like:

<archdesc>
        <did>...</did>
        <scopecontent>
                <head>Photographs</head>
                </scopecontent>
        <scopecontent>
                <head>Cartoon Drawings</head>
                </scopecontent>

An alternative possibility is to have several <scopecontent> tags within another <
scopecontent>, which may be better as it represents the logical hierarchy more satisfactorily.
<scopecontent> is allowed within itself. This would come out something like:

<archdesc>
        <did>...</did>
        <scopecontent>
                <scopecontent>
                        <head>Photographs</head>
                        </scopecontent>
                <scopecontent>
                        <head>Cartoon Drawings</head>
                        </scopecontent>
                </scopecontent>

Hope you find this useful.

Yours,

        David
--
David L. Clough
Reference Assistant, Yale Divinity Library