EAD May 1998

Re: EAD to Z39.50 BIB-1 use attributes

"Fox, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 May 1998 10:32:05 -0500

Some folks are using EAD in a Z39.50 Bib-1 context but I'll let them
speak for themselves.

Bib-1 does not seem to spport directly the hierarchical aspects of
archival descriptions as reflected in EAD.  While the digital
collections profile may accomplish that aspect better, I understand that
it is still some distance from completion.

In the meanwhile, there is an indirect route to mapping EAD to Bib-1 in
that the EAD tag library which will be available by the end of summer
does note equivalencies between EAD elements and MARC fields.   In turn,
the existing Attribute Set for Bib-1 Semantics maps Bib-1 to MARC.    In
som