EDUCAT May 2009

Re: which version of AACR2

Daniel N Joudrey <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 May 2009 16:25:45 -0400

At Simmons, we use both the paper and the online versions of AACR2.

I have found that for the intro class (information organization, not cataloging), the online version can be way too much for the beginning student. Until they get more comfortable with the structure and organization of the standard, they tend to get lost very easily. In the intro class, we don't delve too much into the specifics of the cataloging rules; that comes in our actual cataloging courses.

For the advanced class in Descriptive Cataloging, I allow the students to choose which version of AACR2 they want to use. Surprisingly, over half are choosing to purchase copies of AACR2. This way they can have a copy of their own, they can mark things up, take notes, bring it to class, etc. They do, however, love the links to MARC and the LCRIs that are found in Cataloger's Desktop. In a classroom with only 1 computer and a few laptops that individual student bring to class, the print copies are really useful when doing in-class exercises.

Danny

--
Daniel N. Joudrey, PhD
Assistant Professor