Help for EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT  December 2018

EDUCAT December 2018

ALCTS New Members Interest Group (ANMIG) Meeting at ALA Midwinter 2019 Program Announcement

Rachel B Turner <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Dec 2018 07:59:53 -0500

***Please excuse cross-posting***

Time: Saturday, January 26th, 2019, 4:00 pm- 5:00 pm.
Location: Washington State Convention Center, TCC-Tahoma 1

Are you a recent library school graduate eager to learn what lies ahead as
an academic librarian? Maybe you are a new graduate looking for a job,
wondering whether you should take an available assistant position or wait
to see if you can get a professional librarian position. Perhaps you have
been working in your current position for a few years and are interested in
becoming a supervisor. Or are you a new cataloger and have heard about NACO
but have no idea how to participate? If you fit into any of the above
scenarios, please join us for our four exciting presentations at the ALCTS
New Members Interest Group (ANMIG) meeting in Seattle, abstracts as
follows.

**Overcoming Imposter Syndrome: The Perspectives of Two New
AcademicLibrarians**
Jessica Martinez, Science Librarian, University of Idaho Library; Meredith
Forrey, MLIS.

As two recent graduates, Jessica and Meredith had experience working in
academic libraries but, never as capital “L” Librarians. In our
presentation, we will chronicle the first year out of graduate school as
academic librarians, highlighting the struggles of shifting from student to
teacher, the excitement of discovering our style of librarianship, and
overcoming imposter syndrome.

We will specifically touch on issues faced by new academic librarians,
discussing the challenges and successes of our first year of professional
librarianship. We will examine learning from our failures and not getting
bogged down when things turn out differently than we planned. Our
presentation will tell the story of our careers, comparing and contrasting
our experiences at two different institutions.

**From Library Assistant to Assistant Librarian: leveraging a staff
positioninto a librarian appointment in an academic library**
Elizabeth Miraglia, Assistant Program Director, Metadata Services, Head,
Books & Serials Metadata, UC San Diego Library

Library school students and early-career librarians are often discouraged
from taking non-librarian positions after completing their degrees. They
are told that it makes applying for and transitioning into professional
positions difficult and that contributes to the “de-professionalization” of
our field. However, the reality is that bills need to be paid and graduates
are often faced with a choice between assistant-level work in their field
or doing something unrelated while applying and waiting for professional
work. This presentation outlines the personal experiences of one
early-career librarian who took advantage of the opportunities that library
assistant work presented and successfully recruited into a
managing-librarian position. It also provides practical advice on how to
make the most of non-librarian positions and how to stay engaged with
librarianship along the way.

**From Boss Baby to Seasoned Supervisor-- Lessons Learned the Easy Way
andthe Hard Way**
Mary S. Konkel, Head of Technical Services, OCLC Global Council Delegate
for the Americas Regional Council (ARC), College of DuPage Library

This presentation will cover the road to supervision and management from
the perspective of a technical services librarian, who has worked in large
and medium research libraries and in a community college. From co-worker to
coordinator, from being the boss of myself to being the boss of others,
supervision has been challenging but rewarding. I’ll share the excitement
of getting things done with others, the joys of mentoring, and how to
graciously recover and move on when ah-oh moments happen—and they will!

**Jump Starting Your Career: How NACO Funnels Can Provide Training
andSupport for New Librarians**
Roman S. Panchyshyn, Kent State University Libraries, Associate Professor,
Coordinator Ohio NACO Project

Entry-level positions in cataloging and metadata management require library
professionals to gain expertise with various standards, technologies and
products. An excellent way for new professionals to jump-start their
careers is by acquiring knowledge about the identity management process.
This involves learning about the Library of Congress Program for
Cooperative Cataloging (PCC), specifically its Name Authority Cooperative
Program (NACO). If your library is not an active NACO participant, the
easiest way to begin participation is by joining a NACO funnel project.
With institutional support, a NACO funnel will train you to contribute
authority records for agents, places, works, and expressions to the LC/NACO
Authority File. Funnel coordinators will provide you with the direct
training and review that you will need to acquire this expertise. This
presentation will cover how NACO funnels work, how you can participate, and
review the benefits that funnel membership provides for your institution
and your career.

We look forward to seeing you in the session!

--
*Rachel Berman Turner*
Cataloging Librarian | Subject Librarian for Judaic Studies