Re: Getting rid of attributes?

Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:10:54 -0400

On 7/26/05, Rebecca S. Guenther <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> What seems to be forgotten in most of these discussions of what
> theoretically might be better XML constructs is that there do happen to be
> real implementors who have lots of MODS instances for whom it is working
> very well. We would surely have to balance the gain we might get from
> making these changes against the impact on implementors.

Absolutely true.  But I pointed these problems out with the very first
draft of MADS (and no doubt before it in fact), so that doesn't hold
in that case.  There were no implementors, and MADS is still in draft.

So, you COULD implement MADS differently.  You could restructure it a
bit and make it RDF in the process.  And then you could bring those
changes over to MODS later if people agreed they were valuable.

I don't expect that to happen, but there's no practical or technical
reason it couldn't.

Bruce