MODS January 2019

Re: RelatedItem for Content Relation

Michele R Combs <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Jan 2019 18:00:14 +0000

For sure you can do it, and it isn't wrong -- I guess what I wonder is, once you start explicitly encoding this type of relationship, wouldn't you have to continue doing it in order to keep your collection descriptions up to date?  To use this example, every time you got a new letter by that person, you've have to go back into all the other letters by that person and explicitly encode their relationship to this new letter.  That seems both risky (it woud be easy to miss one) and unnecessarily redundant (since the "relationship" is already visible through the other metadata of <subject> and @role="creator").

I guess in the end -- as with so many things in the world of archives -- it depends on your situation :)  I can see times that this might make sense.  You'd have to look at the cost-benefit and the long-term implications.

Michele

-----Original Message-----
From: Metadata Object Description Schema List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of McAulay, Lisa
Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 12:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MODS] RelatedItem for Content Relation

Hi All,

I’ll provide the opposite perspective. While it’s not necessary to encode, it shouldn’t be precluded. I’m wondering if the otherType attribute might help. I also will double check whether the type attribute is required. Because just putting in a link in the related item tag also seems quite appropriate.

Best,
Lisa

Elizabeth McAulay
Head of the Digital Library Program