MODS October 2006

XSLT with the MODS XMLNS

joseph greene <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:14:43 +0100

Hello,

I have been trying to transform MODS records to other formats (Dublin
Core, HTML) and I can't seem to get it to work properly with the MODS
xmlns information included in the root element. I've used several
parsers for XSL 1.0 and 2.0 (through oXygen) and also xsltproc (through
the command line). By process of elimination, I don't think it's a
parser problem.

If I include the xmlns information in the root element, the result is
always text-- the value of each element. Once I remove references to the
xmlns, the transformations work.

I've managed to transform Dublin Core records containing XMLNS info in
the root element by declaring the dc: prefix in the XSLT but I haven't
been able to replicate this when transforming MODS.

Here is a typical root element:

<mods xmlns="http://www.loc.gov/mods/v3"
    xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
    xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.loc.gov/mods/v3
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-3-2.xsd"
    version="3.2">

I'm sure I'm missing something. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Joseph Greene

Irish Virtual Research Library and Archive
327 James Joyce Library
University College Dublin
Dublin 4