PCCLIST February 2000

Re: Dates on personal name headings

Adam Schiff <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Feb 2000 10:45:18 -0800

TEXT/PLAIN

> The last time MARBI discussed the "why not use b. for folks
> presumably dead?" issue, the problems with interfiling open dates and
> b. DATE entries were considered significant enough to "defeat" the
> proposals.

Of course, we ALREADY DO use b. for folks presumably dead, if their birth
year is over a hundred years old.  So we are already living with this
problem.  Further, if we did decide to always use b. for a person whose
birth we know, whether they are presumed dead or alive, then we could flip
other headings in our database from date- to b. date and the filing
problem would not be anywhere near as big a problem.

* Adam L. Schiff                     *
* Principal Cataloger                *
* University of Washington Libraries *
* Box 352900                         *