PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

PCCLIST Home

PCCLIST  February 2000

PCCLIST February 2000

Re: Dates on personal name headings

Daniel CannCasciato <[log in to unmask]>

Daniel CannCasciato <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Feb 2000 14:43:48 -0800

TEXT/PLAIN

One question that needs to be answered first is -- is it worth the work to
do this?  Yes, it MIGHT look better, but ... looking silly isn't the worst
thing we can do with our time -- it is annoying.  I'm still not sure it's
worth the change.

There are tools out there (social security death index) that might help us
in the task of systematically updating headings with death dates, if
that's important.  My preferences so far are for:
        using DATE-   rather than b. DATE
             [to me, b. DATE  implies the person IS dead]
          closing dates when they are known or become known
        using d. DATE  when that's all that is known.
             [would -DATE work?]
          Add birth date should it become known

I imagine the -DATE would have some sort of filing ramification that's
ugly, but so too does d. DATE.  It would probaly get the name to file in
the ballpark of that person's contemporaries.

Daniel

Daniel CannCasciato,  Head of Cataloging
Central Washington University Library
Ellensburg  WA   98926-7548    [log in to unmask]

"If you do a little every day, you can let the enormity of the project
gradually overwhelm you."