Help for ISOJAC Archives

ISOJAC Archives

ISOJAC@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

ISOJAC Home

ISOJAC  September 2000

ISOJAC September 2000

Re: Reply: A Language ISO code is needed for Igbo

Håvard Hjulstad <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Sep 2000 12:10:42 +0200

Dear Mr Atulobi,

As to language identifier for Igbo, the current status is as follows:

The two-letter identifier "ig" was finalized in 1999, and will be included
in ISO 639-1 (it is included in the DIS document that has been approved).
The two-letter identifier may be considered standardized, even though it has
not yet been published in an International Standard.

The three-letter identifier "ibo" was included in ISO 639-2:1998.

It is correct that Yoruba and Hausa were included in ISO 639:1988, while
Igbo was not. The new 639-1, which is in effect a revision of 639:1988, has
included Igbo as well as many other languages that were omitted in the 1988
edition.

I hope this is an adequate answer to you question.

Best regards,
Håvard Hjulstad

(PS Please note that my email address is incorrect in the original reply
from DIN.)

Håvard Hjulstad           mailto:[log in to unmask]
  Rådet for teknisk terminologi
  (Norwegian Council for Technical Terminology)
  Postboks 41 Blindern
  NO-0313  Oslo, Norway
  (besøksadresse/visiting address: Forskningsveien 3 B)
  tel: +47-23198040   faks: +47-23198041
  http://www.rtt.org/