Help for BIBCO Archives

BIBCO Archives

BIBCO@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

BIBCO Home

BIBCO  August 2001

BIBCO August 2001

Re: Draft FAQ on LC classification for BIBCO

Adam Schiff <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:28:04 -0700

TEXT/PLAIN

As a follow-up to Ana's confirmation that BIBCO participants must submit a
SACO classification proposal to get a topical cutter, I also want to point
out that you don't actually pick the cutter in your proposal, you only
include the letter of the cutter and then CPSO supplies the actual number.
This is explained in both the SCM: Classification and in the SACO
Participants' Manual.

Because it is not possible to correctly predict what number will be
assigned to a cutter proposal, we generally hold books that we are working
on until we get the full number back from LC.  That way we don't guess a
different number and have to remark the book and go back into OCLC to
change the call number we input in the record.  The exception we make is
for rush items; in those cases, we assign a cutter and send the item out
to the patron requesting it.  If the LC number we get for that topic is
different than our guess, we will recall the item and have it remarked and
change the class. number in OCLC.

* Adam L. Schiff                     *
* Principal Cataloger                *
* University of Washington Libraries *