[email protected]

Monospaced Font

METS Home

METS  August 2001

METS August 2001

Re: METS and OAI

Jerome McDonough <[log in to unmask]>

Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:16:15 -0400

> 1) If, as suggested by Jerome McDonough and in the METS
> description, complex documents were to be represented by multiple METS
> objects, with an 'umbrella' object containing divs with mptrs to the
> subsidiary objects, how would one get from the subsidiary object back
> to the umbrella object? I do not see any kind of reverse pointer in
> METS.

You're right, there's no reverse pointer, and this is doubtless
one of the reasons why Harvard has asked that we reconsider
the structure of the <mptr> element. The previous xlink
based syntax for <mptr> in MOA2 allowed you to specify whether
you were linking to something that was a parent or child
object of the current object; METS is missing that. I'll
be adding that to the list of issues to address in our
meeting in DC.