EAD September 2001

Re: style sheets

"Fox, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:48:09 -0500

Marsha,
    Variable are a very useful programming tool that can make a programming
tool like a stylesheet (I hesitate to call a stylesheet a program though it
has many of the characteristics of one) extensible and more compact.  The
first version of these stylesheets was written in a verbose manner as to
make the code more explicit- the next one will be more compact, using more
variables and decomposition into multiple, smaller files.

   The Cookbook stylesheet use the value of the <eadid> element, declared as
the variable "file", as the basis of its file naming convention in two ways.
It is used to create the path statements in the resulting HTML for internal
hyperlinks.  It is also used to name and cross-link the multiple files that
are used in an HTML frames presentation (eadcbs3.xsl) where what you see on
the browser screen is actually the merging of four separate physical files.

        More experienced programmers than I will no doubt describe the
utility of variables in other circumstances.

Michael

Michael J. Fox
Assistant Director for Library and Archives
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul, MN 55102-2409
651-296-2150  (phone)