Help for METS Archives

METS Archives

METS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

METS Home

METS  December 2001

METS December 2001

Re: Thanks for responses, discussion continues

Jerome McDonough <[log in to unmask]>

Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:00:35 -0500

At 04:23 PM 12/5/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>These attributes were added to the existing LOC image extension:
>
>Element: Format
>
>Added Attributes:
>
>1. FORMAT: Name of Image Format.  Recommended syntax: record value as a
>three-character name that corresponds to the standard file extension
>associated with the image format. (Examples) GIF, JPG, JP2, PCD, TIF;
>
><irreverent comment>I am still having trouble getting the point of this,
>forgive me, since the MIMEtype also mandatory in NISO has the same darn
>"names" in more or less the same form.  I'm sure I'm missing something
>and, as stated, we will march in step with NISO.</irreverent comment>

I'm somewhat of the same mind as Carl in his irreverant mode here.  If
we've got
the same information elsewhere in METS, do we really need to repeat it here?

>2. FORMAT_VERSION: Version of image format;
>
>3. COMPRESSION: Designates the compression scheme used to store the image
>data.  Example: Uncompressed, CCITT 1D, CCITT Group 3, CCITT Group 4, LZW,
>JPEG, PackBits (simple byte-oriented run-length scheme). Values above
>drawn from TIFF 6.0 specification; and
>
><comment>We had thought not to bother with compression which is usually
>expressed in the format type/format name (file extension), EXCEPT for TIFF
>files where you gotta look inside.  So we have a field in our database
>(which may have gotten lost en route to the XML) called tiff_compression.
>We better rename it compression and make sure it does get into the
>schema.</comment>

I agree with a more generic compression; people might want to use PDF as an
image storage format, and PDF supports multiple compression schemes (if memory
serves, it can support several different compression schemes in the same
document).

>Element: SpatialMetrics
>
>Added Attributes:
>1. SOURCE_XDIMENSION: Specifies the width of the scanned object; and
>2. SOURCE_YDIMENSION: Specifies the length of the scanned object.
>
><irreverent comment>Well, these probably should go in the schema if
>mandatory in NISO.  We actually collect more information on the source
>side (type, condition, etc.), destined for METS sourceMD extensions.  But
>no doubt we can pass off the dimensions part of this data to the imageMD.
>This is a case where I differ with (or at least am reluctant to adopt) the
>NISO approach, which mixes source information with image
>metadata.</irreverent comment>

I think in MOA2 we decided we needed: 1. the dimensions of the actual
source object,
and 2. the dimension actually *scanned* for each image.  The latter got
used to do some
math along with the pixels/inch to figure out how large an image display
would be needed to
try to do an 'actual size' display of the object, while the previous was
there so that scholars
would have the true dimensions of the object available to look at and not
have to rely on
our somewhat approximate dimensions based on scan size/ppi.

Jerome McDonough
Digital Library Development Team Leader
Elmer Holmes Bobst Library, New York University
70 Washington Square South
New York, NY 10012
(212) 998-2425