Help for METS Archives

METS Archives

METS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

METS Home

METS  December 2001

METS December 2001

Re: How to store pages in METS? New section?

"Egger, Alexander" <[log in to unmask]>

Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Dec 2001 18:05:53 +0100

Hi Markus,

> But you do not use the METS format, or do you?
Yes we create METS files, but we also generate a very detailed
description of the layout of a book down to the word level and the OCRed
text. We didn't find METS very useful to describe layout information and
it is definitely not useful to store text so we use a different format
called ALTO that stores this information.

> > * Link the two structures with an xml file that describes the atomic
> > parts of a page
> >
> > <book>
> >   <page id="2">
> >     <block id="b1"></block>
> >     <block id="b2"></block>
> >   </page>
> >   <page id="3">
> >     <block id="b3"></block>
> >     <block id="b4"></block>
> >   </page>
> > <book>
>
> As far as I understand you redefine you physical structure in
> this part.
> Why? Or is this just an alternative to
> structMap LABEL="physical structure" TYPE="PHYSICAL">
> you have defined before?
well but it solves the problem ;-). actually this is a simplified
version of the ALTO file.

To make things clearer we do not define the logical structure as build
upon the physical structure as for example Brugger does
(see.
Brugger, R. (1998) Eine statistische Methode zur Erkennung von
Dokumentstrukturen. PhD thesis, University of Fribourg. Also available
at: http://www-iiuf.unifr.ch/~brugger/papers/da/da-html.html )

We think that the physical and logical structure should be see as on the
same level. They are build from the layout elements.

> But this seems not to be METS.... How do you do this in METS?
> As far as I understood I cannot use the file-pointer, cause I do not
> link to files. Somehow I need a pointer to another structMap
> - but there
> is no such pointer in METS.
As we do have the ALTO file as an external file we can point to it using
fptr.
But I think there should be a way of pointing back to the METS file
using the xlink attributes.

> Anyhow: Are you planning to use METS in the METAe-project? If
> so, how do
> you create METS-files?
The generation of the METS-files will be part of the output process of
our system. We donīt know by now if we can use the generation tools for
the METS-files outside of the system.

mfg

Alexander