Help for METS Archives

METS Archives

METS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

METS Home

METS  December 2001

METS December 2001

How to store pages in METS? New section?

Markus Enders <[log in to unmask]>

Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:42:43 +0100

Hi everybody on the METS list,

I have looked into the METS introduction and the XML schema, but still
have some question if and how METS can be used in our situation. We are
and already have digitized quite a lot material - from 16th to 20th
century and stored all metadata and structure in one RDF- and XML-based
file. Because our solution is not so extendable, we are looking for
other solutions - METS seems to be a good one.

As far as I understood I can store a document's structure, metadata for
each structure entity (for each div) and files (or file groups). To
these files (or groups of files) I can attach Administrative Metadata.

But how do I store e.g. pages? Sure, I may store files: images, PDF or
xml or whatever. And I may also have a filegroup e.g. one for each page.

For me it seems necessary to store pages because I may have metadata on
the page level. This metadata may be the page size: sometimes you'll
find maps, drawings etc. which are larger than all the other pages in
the book. Maybe even so large that you can't store the whole page as one
image but have to split up a map into two or four different images. Of
course I may have a file group for the page containing four files. For
this file group I may point to an Administrative Metadata section
But what if I just want to store (and point to) one PDF file containing
e.g. all pages of an article. In this case I would not have the
possibility to store metadata just for a single page but just for the
file.

Maybe having large maps and drawing for which it might be necessary to
store size etc.. is not so common. But storing the page number of a
single page is quite useful. Currently we are using in all our projects
so called "physical page numbers" for storing a unique number within a
work for each page. (beginning with one, increased by one for each
page). And we also store the logical page number - this is the page
number printed on the page in the book. So it would be quite useful to
match the logical and physical page number for each page. In other
words: both kind of page number would be quite important metadata for a
page.

As a work-around it might be a possibility (as far as I understand
METS), to have individual files for each page, referencing to individual
Administrative Metadata sections in which I might store logical and
physical page numbers.
This solution will not work, if I do not want to have neither individual
files nor file-groups for every single page, but want to store the
contents separated by chapters etc... (e.g. one PDF file per chapter).

Anyhow: pages are just a very special case for books. There might even
be other structures from the analogue world, where we get identical
problems. I think, it would be quite nice to have the possibility not
only to store the logical structure of a work, as the <div>s do, but to
store also the "physical structure" of a work. Especially when you have
to deal not only with digital but also with analogue material (even when
it is digitized) it might be a benefit maybe to have a special sections
where the physical structure can be stored.

It would be nice to hear from you what you think of my suggestion - if I
have overseen any possibilities in METS and what you think of the
"work-around" I described above. How yould you solve the problem of
storing logical and physical page numbers in METS?

TIA, ciao
Markus Enders, GDZ
<http://gdz.sub.uni-goettingen.de>