METS March 2002

Checksum

Robin Wendler <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:57:05 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

One of the general questions that came out of the recent
(and soon to be documented, I swear) meeting on technical metadata for
audio was about the METS <checksum> attribute of the <file> element.
Right now, this is defined explicitly as MD5, but there are now and
undoubtedly will continue to be other checksum algorithms in use. We were
wondering whether it would be better/possible to generalize this in METS,
providing for the checksum type, value, and create date. It seems better
to raise this now, rather before we hit the big Version 1.0.

What do others think about this?

-- Robin

Robin Wendler  ........................     work  (617) 495-3724
Office for Information Systems  .......     fax   (617) 495-0491
Harvard University Library  ...........