MODS March 2002

Re: Typeless names

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:13:28 -0800

At 10:31 AM 3/27/2002 -0500, Houghton,Andrew wrote:

>Implementers can define additional relationships, by using their own
>URI's.  What's important here about "role" is that the "object" is still
>the object.  You are not redefining the "object" but how you are using
>that object.  As far as the MODS standard it could implement this as
>the following:
>
>   <mods:name mods:role="http://www.loc.gov/mods#conference">...</mods:name>

A couple of comments here that echo those of Pricilla...

1) "conference" is not a role, it's a type of entity that can be considered
responsible for the intellectual content of a document. Role is something
like "editor" or "translator" or "illustrator" -- the role that person or
entity played in the creation process (since there are lots of kinds of
creation acitvities, especially when you get into areas like film).

2) Any place where you have URI's you have to also plan for off-line uses
of the records. I'm always very reluctant to have URI's added to data
standards in any area where the interpretation of the data or the immediate
use of the data is dependent on the URI and a functioning connection.

Karen Coyle           [log in to unmask]

            http://www.kcoyle.net