MODS March 2002

Re: thoughts on names

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:55:46 -0800

At 09:13 AM 3/29/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>2. Your point is well taken about delimiting dates. I guess you would want
>to use a technique for anything that isn't really part of the name. If we
>used <component> that may not be enough to distinguish what is the name
>and what is the date or other element, since it would be used to
>subdivide each portion (at least that's how it's used under corporate). Is
>there a different tag we could use that would denote anything that
>shouldn't be considered part of the name?

I see us moving into an era of less authority control and more authors.
There will be a need for information beyond the author's name -- as an
example, see the use of "affiliation" in scientific bibliography, which has
a multiplicity of purposes, but one of them is that it helps identify an
author whose name is probably not distinct. We tend to use the date, but
there are also titles. These are modifiers on the name, and therefore we
could have a "date" element in the way that we have an "affiliation"
element, although I have to admit that I don't understand how affiliation
is intended to be applied in mods since it is defined outside of the
personal name area but appears to restrict itself to 100 & 700 $u.

kc

Karen Coyle           [log in to unmask]

            http://www.kcoyle.net