ISOJAC May 2002

FW: possible additions

Håvard Hjulstad <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 May 2002 14:10:50 +0200

I am forwarding this to the JAC list for your information. There has been no
formal proposal to add any of the languages in ISO 639.

Best regards,
Håvard

-------------------------
Håvard Hjulstad mailto:[log in to unmask]
  Solfallsveien 31
  NO-1430 Ås, Norway
  tel: +47-64944233 & +47-64963684
  mob: +47-90145563
  http://www.hjulstad.com/havard/
-------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Pavla &OR
Francis Frazier
Sent: 3. mai 2002 15:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: possible additions

Attachment is a table, the contents of which are copied below
(but not in table format) after the letter to the IETF list serve.

Dear IETF Language list serve group,

 ISO version 1 and 2 combined include 36 language names for American
Indian and Alaska Native languages, 9 of which are groupings. These 9
groups map to 62 individual names in a set of currently used American
Indian and Alaska Native languages that I am proposing (see below).
There is one IETF i-tagged name mapping to my set. There are a total
of 159 individual language names that I want to submit for your
consideration. In this letter, I am showing the proposed names along
with the current ISO names for the convenience of seeing how the
proposed names fit in with ISO.

 I am quite new to the norms of IETF and I hope that my unfamiliarity
with your process does not impede the purpose of my writing to you. I
hope you will kindly excuse any thing not consistent with your normal
procedures. I am quite grateful that you provide this excellent
service to all benefiting from it now and in the future.

Per the request of Health Level Seven, I am submitting the attached
language names to the IETF for consideration for i-tagging with the
IETF standard for language names. For background, Health Level Seven
(HL7) is an ISO approved standards organization which internationally
promotes effective communication of information related to health
care. Although this work was originally intended for use by Health
Level Seven, for whom I, as a member, volunteered to do this, it could
be useful to others as well. In addition to specifying the proposed
set of languages for IETF inclusion, the file also serves to clarify
the relationship between currently used American Indian and Native
Alaskan languages as represented in IETF, ISO and the proposed set.

 Attached is a file, also copied below, but not in table format, based
on a comprehensive hierarchy I developed, which includes all currently
used U.S. North American Indian and Native Alaskan languages. I would
be happy to send the complete hierarchy to anyone indicating an
interest in it. The file attached is called:
SubmitTo_IETF_Comparison of proposed set with ISO.rtf
(Synonyms were removed for the purpose of IETF consideration.)

 My questions for you: do I need to fill a separate form for each of
the 159 individual language names? I was hoping to avoid filling out
a separate form for each of the proposed currently used 159 language
additions, but I certainly will do whatever the IETF needs. I am
excited about the possibility of these languages getting into your
standard and I commend all of you on providing this service. Also, is
there a way to include synonyms so that they can be recognized and
used as such?

 The hierarchy of currently used American Indian / Alaska Native
languages, which the two attached tables draw from, contains a total
of 522 entries. This represents 159 language names, 265 language
synonyms and 98 abstractions. This was developed with the help of
communication with key people as follows and was also based on two
printed references.

 The key people helping in determining whether or not a language is
currently used were: Ives Goddard, editor of the language volume of
The Smithsonian's Handbook of North American
Indians (1); and, Victor Gola, Secretary of The Society for the Study
of the Indigenous Languages of the Americas (2). James McCain and
George Huggins, both of the Indian Health Service (IHS), also helped
in this matter (3). (The Indian Health Service, a part of the US
Public Health Service, is under the Department of Health and Human
Services of the US.) Additionally, Shelby Zwick of IHS and several
Health Level Seven members have helped in the project. Also, last but
not least, Harald Alvestrand of the IETF has quite patiently fielded
my questions! Thanks to all for your help.

The printed references used in creating the hierarchy are listed
below. The hierarchy is mainly based on the Consensus Classification
of the Native Languages of North America (1) but with frequent
references to and clarification from the Ethnologue (4) as needed.
The hierarchy mainly uses language names as identified by the
Smithsonian work and, for the most part, uses synonyms from the
Ethnologue. Dialects were not incorporated when possible. (Dialects
& synonyms not distinguished in Smithsonian`s table.)

Thank you very much,
Pavla Frazier

1. Sturtevant, William C. General editor; Ives Goddard, Volume Editor
(Editor of Languages) (vol 17) The Smithsonian's Handbook of North
American Indians. Smithsonian, 1996. [log in to unmask]
2. Gola,Victor, Secretary The Society for the Study of the Indigenous
Languages of the Americas Box 555, Arcata, California 95518 USA.
3. Huggins, George and McCain, James, Indian Health Service
www.ihs.gov
Huggins, George (ITSC Tucson) [log in to unmask]
4. Ethnologue Languages of the World, Fourteenth Edition. Barbara F.
Grimes, Editor. Consulting Editors: Richard S. Pittman & Joseph E.
Grimes, 2000. SIL International
http://www.sil.org/ethnologue/countries/USA.html

A=abstract class name C= name Proposed to Internet Engineering Task
Force

 Proposed additions are those names which have a "C" label from first
| column. The "A" coded abstract names are just a subset of all the
| abstract names. The abstract names appearing in this table remain
| visible in order to show the relationship between this proposed set
of
| names and the language family names currently in ISO. The language
| names now in ISO appear immediately to the right of the name from
the
| proposed set. The language families in ISO have "(languages)" next
| the ISO name. Also, some ISO names have "(collective)" adjacent.
| While it is not necessary to replace the ISO language names with nam
es
| that I have, the family names and collective names should be
replaced
| with the separate language-family or -grouping member-names.
|
| A Algonquian Algonquian (languages)
| C Blackfoot Siksika (Siksika is a
synonym,
                                                      the name
Blackfoot is more
                                                      commonly used)
| C Western Cree Cree
| C Gros Ventre
| C Arapaho Arapaho
| C Cheyenne Cheyenne
| C Menominee
| C Southern Ojibwa Ojibwa
| C Potawatami
| C Sauk-Fox
| C Kickapoo
| C Shawnee
| C Micmac Micmac
| C Maliseet-Passamaquoddy
| C Eastern Abenaki
| C Western Abenaki
| C Unami Delaware Delaware (synonym)
| C Yurok
| A Eskimoan Eskimo (Other) Although
still listed
                                                     at some sites,
this name is no longer
                                                     in US Library of
Congress or in ISO
                                                     639
| A Sirenikski Yupik Yupik languages (now in US
Library
                                                     of Congress and
in ISO 639)
| C Central Siberian Yupik
| C Central Alaskan Yupik
| C Pacific Yupik Gulf
| C North Alaskan Inuktitut Inupiaq (synonym)
> [...]
(collective)
| C Chinook Wawa Chinook Jargon (synonym)
| A Salishan Salishan Languages
| C Northern Straits
| C Clallam
| C Lushootseed
| C Quinalt
| C Lower Chehalis
| C Upper Chehalis
| C Cowlitz
| C Kalispel
| C Coeur D'alene
| C Columbian
| C Okanagan
| A Siouan Siouan (languages)
| C Hidatsa
| C Crow
| C Mandan
| C Lakota
| C Dakota Dakota
| C Assiniboine
| C Omaha-Ponca
| C Osage Osage
| C Kansa
| C Quapaw
| C Chiwere
| C Hocak
| C Mono
| C Northern Paiute-Bannock
| C Panamint
| C Shoshone
| C Comanche
| C Kawaiisu
| C Ute-Southern Paiute
| C Tubatululabal
| C Serrano
| C Cahuilla
| C Cupeno
| C Luiseno
| C Hopi
| C Papago-Pima
| C Yaqui
| C(&A) Yuchi
| A Wakashan Wakashan Languages
| C Makah
| C Yuki
| C Wappo
| C(&A) Zuni Zuni

 Also for consideration for IETF:
| PLAINS INDIAN SIGN LANGUAGE

Resources

www.ihs.gov [log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]
4. Ethnologue Languages of the World, Fourteenth Edition.Barbara F.
Grimes, Editor. Consulting Editors: Richard S. Pittman & Joseph E.
Grimes, 2000. SIL International

 Other resources used:
http://www.sil.org/ethnologue/countries/USA.html
http://www.ethnologue.com

 ISO languages as posted by US Library of Congress:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/langhome.html
http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html
 Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) & ISO:
http://www.dsv.su.se/~jpalme/ietf/language-codes.html#Heading2

IETF:
http://www.wu-wien.ac.at:8082/rfc/rfc1766.hyx/rfc1766.3_b2._bThe_bLang
uage_btag
RFC 1766: Tag ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1766.txt

IETF & IANA (Internet Numbers Assigned Authority):
http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-tag-apps.htm

Pavla A. Frazier MSN MBA
Medical Informatics student
University of Utah