ZNG Archives

[email protected]

Monospaced Font

ZNG Home

ZNG  May 2002

ZNG May 2002

Re: [Ex-plain] Re: Ex-plain SRW and ZeeRex

Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative

Mon, 13 May 2002 14:05:58 +1000

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 10:46:50PM -0400, LeVan,Ralph wrote:
> [...]

In the second half of the mail I actually agreed with the notion of
what you said above - that a SRW should be able to return a ZeeRex
record describing the server. Any empty query string is one way
of doing it, the other (which I suggested) was to have a separate
SOAP method for doing it. With SRW I don't see much benefit in
reusing the one method for different purposes (there is little or
no cost in adding additional functions). In SRU on the other hand,
using a zero length query may have real attraction (and it might be
worth using a zero length query in SRW to keep it similar to SRU).

But basically I agree that an endpoint should return its own ZeeRex
record. The actual mechanics of it I am less worried about.

Alan