Help for MODS Archives

MODS Archives

MODS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

MODS Home

MODS  September 2002

MODS September 2002

Re: thoughts on NAME and internationalization

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Sep 2002 06:58:10 -0700

I like the separation between "family name" and "other names" (which I
think is a better description of the process) because it gets us around
issues of "display form." So for those cultures where the family name is
given first ("Mao Tse-Tung") displays can reflect that when it is coded
correctly. There should be, however, a "catchall" data element (undivided
name) for those times when you cannot correctly parse the name into these
two divisions. I think it is better to leave the data element as you found
it than to parse it incorrectly. For the OpenURL metadata we did leave
ourselves a general "unparsed name" for just those times.

kc