EAD Archives

EAD@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

Monospaced Font

EAD Home

EAD  October 2002

EAD October 2002

<geogname> for 651 fields/Faceted subject headings

"mark a. matienzo" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:38:13 -0500

On 10/29/02 5:33 PM, "Susan Hamburger" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 651 is the appropriate field for a geographic name used as a subject. That
> you can subdivide the name by topical, time period, and form/genre terms
> does not change the fact that the initial term is geographical rather than
> topical. The correct EAD encoding for your example is <geogname
> encodinganalog="651">United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal
> narratives.</geogname>.

At Michigan State University, we're using an Innovative Interfaces-based
OPAC. We wanted to create a skeletal MARC record based on our finding aids.
Innovative created an XML harvester, but requires our headings to be
something like the following:

<geogname encodinganalog="651_0$a" source="lcsh">Poland </geogname>
<geogname encodinganalog="651$x">History </geogname>
<geogname encodinganalog="651$y">German occupation, 1939-1945</geogname>

Although this may not be "proper" EAD, it is nonetheless valid. A heading
facet tag would be better, as it would contain the entire heading within a
single subject/geogname/persname tag, e.g.:

<geogname source="lcsh">
<facet encodinganalog="651_0$a">Poland </facet>
<facet encodinganalog="651$x">History </facet>
<facet encodinganalog="651$y">German occupation, 1939-1945</facet>
</geogname>

This is of particular importance, in my opinion, now that Innovative is
using their XML harvester as a selling point for their Web OPAC (see
http://www.iii.com/html/products/p_web.shtml for more info).

Mark Matienzo

--
Mark A. Matienzo || [log in to unmask] || PO Box 4405 || Ann Arbor MI 48106
Candidate, Master of Science in Information (Archives & Records Management)