[email protected]

Monospaced Font

JACVOTE Home

JACVOTE  January 2003

JACVOTE January 2003

ISO 639 JAC ballot 6-2003 - Nogai

Anila Angjeli <[log in to unmask]>

ISO JAC Voting Member List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:27:04 +0100

ISO 639 Ballot -- New item: Nogai

Please vote by Friday 2003-01-24.

Please see additional information below the ballot form.

Submitted by (your name, please):Anila Angjeli

(A) -- Inclusion:
(1)
_X_ I am in favour of including the individual language "Nogai" in 639-2
(alpha-3 code)
___ I am opposed to including the individual language "Nogai" in 639-2
(alpha-3 code)

(B) -- Identifier:
(Please vote even if you are opposed to the inclusion of the item)
(2)
_X_ I accept the alpha-3 identifier "nog" for Nogai (if to be included)
___ I do not accept the identifier "nog" -- Comment:

(C) -- Language names:
(3)
_X_ I accept the English name "Nogai" (if to be included)
___ I do not accept the English name "Nogai" -- Comment:

(4)
_X_ I accept the French name "nogaï" (if to be included)
___ I do not accept the French name "nogaï" -- Comment:
Add also the variant "Nogay". This variant is used in "Les langues du Monde"
(which I have already
referred to when voting for "erzya", "moksha", etc.)

(5)
_X_ I accept the indigenous name "nogaj tili" (if to be included)
___ I do not accept the indigenous name "nogaj tili" -- Comment:
I propose that another sligntly difféerent variant for the indigenous name
should be added : "Nugay", used by "Les langues du Monde" when referring to this
language. There is a comment of how theses people call themselves "The Tatars of
Tobolsk give themselves the name of Nugay. By the Kirghiz, Kazan, Taranchi
people at Boukhara one calls by this name the Tatars of Kazan".

Other comments:

* * * * * * *

Background and additional information:

This is based on a proposal submitted on 2002-10-11 and circulated to the
JAC for comments on 2002-10-30. Feedback has been received from Michael
Everson only.

The source of the French name is http://www.eurominority.org/.
- (Same comment as on the vote for erzya)
I strongly doubt whether http://www.eurominority.org is a valid source for the
French variant of the name. When I try to get the information in French on the
Eurominority site, the only thing I get in French is the frame and headings
display, the information itself, that is the languages names, etc. remains in
English.

The source of the indigenous name is http://www.evertype.com/alphabets/
About the indigenous name see aloso my proposal above.