PCCTG1 March 2003

Membership criteria

"Gabel,Linda" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:33:44 -0500

Just a few thoughts of my own.

First, I've had some experience with working as SACO funnel project,
primarily for subject headings for fictitious characters. Our libraries
sent all requests to us, on whatever form was convenient for them, and we
double-checked and re-keyed the entries for submission. In this limited
area, we had produced very specific guidelines for them to follow, and I
think it worked very well. The libraries I think were quite content to let
us be the identified agency for the finished product.

Second, I think we can't rely on current COOP processes as guiding criteria
for this project. Yes, they do review everything especially for
relationships or broader terms that may be needed. But isn't the whole
point of this project to get SACO proposals to flow more quickly through the
system, with less interaction by COOP?

So, to finally get to an answer to membership, I think training is critical,
and having training material readily available is also critical. I don't
think that an annual quota of headings is necessary for inclusion, but it
may be helpful in winnowing out those who are interested, but have little
desire for formal training/certification.

I'll go back to lurking, now!

--Linda

Linda Gabel
Cataloging Product Management