PCCTG1 March 2003

Re: SACO responsibilities list

Jimmie Lundgren <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:05:02 -0500

text/plain

Dear SACO Task Group,
        First of all I want to thank you all for your recent comments. We
are still in the mode of generating ideas and observations, and not yet
ready to say we've looked at all the considerations and know which way to
go. I haven't heard any bells. The Fenly report is there for us to use as
background along with the SACO manual and other sources including our own
experiences. It was not intended that it dictate our recommendations,
although I agree with Mary Charles that it includes helpful information.
        About no.6, I want to point out that I said we were responsible for,
"trying to establish good working relationships." I still feel we are
responsible for trying although clearly it's not all up to us, and I'm not
actually sure we need to mention it explicitly on a final list of SACO
responsibilities. We will be discussing the Coop end of things later on.
        I can identify with frustrations expressed regarding submissions
that have taken a long time or were not acted upon at all. There have been
instances when I had to revise or do additional research on a submission for
it to be approved, had them approved with unanticipated changes, and once I
was told that the heading would require too high a volume of maintenance and
would not be established. (At least I think that was the reason for "surface
water" not being approved).
        When we submit a proposal that doesn't get approved as submitted I
feel it is our responsibility not to take it personally but to try to
understand and accept the decisions of CPSO and go on. Frankly, some
headings are tricky and the coop staff member may not always be able to
predict the decision and advise us before submission. Getting input through
the list sounds great to me. I think it is OK not to have a perfect
understanding before submission as long as we have provided good enough
documentation to present the issue for CPSO. Sometimes they have to argue
among themselves before reaching an editorial decision. If we submit one
that seems to get lost, we can review it and if we are convinced it is
needed and thoroughly documented we should resubmit it.
        In a perfect world LC would be able to supply a very large and
well-trained staff to support SACO activities :-) I am hopeful that one of
the results of our work as a task group will be to help LC to better focus
those resources they have available for it at any given time towards optimum
support of the SACO program. If we can also present the value of SACO in a
persuasive manner thay may also be helpful.
        For now I would like to ask that we try to refocus on the current
topic of SACO benefits and responsibilities and defer further comments and
analysis about LC's end of things for week 7 which is the time we assigned
to it.
        Thanks and best regards,
Jimmie