Help for PCCTG1 Archives

PCCTG1 Archives

PCCTG1@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

PCCTG1 Home

PCCTG1  March 2003

PCCTG1 March 2003

Re: Membership responsibilities and benefits.

Adam Schiff <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:09:30 -0800

TEXT/PLAIN

We do a public Web page that lists our SACO headings that have been
established: http://www.lib.washington.edu/Msd/Lcsh.html  It's good public
relations with our public services staff.  Also, every six months I send
out an email to all library staff listing a selection of the new headings
that we've set up through SACO, and I always get a few comments back from
reference staff and others thanking us for this.  Folks here know that if
they need a new heading they can let me know and we're very responsive to
that need.

Another thing we do once a heading has been approved is to search through
our catalog to see if any other records in it should be changed to that
new heading.  This is another benefit to our staff and patrons.  It's not
unusual for me to find that we have additional items in our collection on
the same topic that are older and didn't get the appropriate subject
heading when they were cataloged.

* Adam L. Schiff                     *
* Principal Cataloger                *
* University of Washington Libraries *