ARSCLIST April 2003

Re: Dolby B in software

Parker Dinkins <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Apr 2003 18:45:37 -0500

on 4/18/03 5:24 PM, Richard L. Hess at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> At 04:30 PM 4/18/2003 -0500, Parker Dinkins wrote:
>
>> Dolby B was designed for use with audiocassettes. Dolby A was designed for
>> open reel tapes, and the hardware is available in the market. If you have
>> Dolby B open reel tapes they were probably created to dub cassettes.
>
> That is partially true. HOWEVER, it may be more precise to say that Dolby B
> was created as a consumer format while Dolby A was a professional format.

Thanks for the correction. I've obviously never seen open reel machines with
Dolby B, which only means, Richard, that you should write a book (on
tape_width/track_configurations/tape_speed/noise_reduction formats) which I
will gladly purchase.

And please don't forget Burwen noise reduction....

---
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation
CD Mastering + Audio Restoration