Re: mix 0.2 questions

"Keith C." <[log in to unmask]>

NISO Metadata for Images in XML (MIX)

Wed, 7 May 2003 20:03:32 -0700

text/plain

Dr. Rosenthaler,
     I don't believe that MIX provides a method of encoding the tiff image
within the xml.  METS, on the other hand, does provide a method of using Base
64 Encoding to include the file within the xml instead of a reference.  (See
the fileSec and FContent tags in METS for further info.)

     "StripOffsets" and like values are retrieved from the header, but without
the Tiff v6.0 spec I could not tell you for sure.

     The reason why "StripOffsets" and other tags could consist of a set of
values is the fact that a tiff image could actually consist of multiple pages.
 In theory each page could also have different color depths and dimensions,
but I have yet to find/create any to demonstrate this case.

Two problems that you may run into by using delimited strings:

1)  Validation Errors - The datatype for "StripOffsets" is an "Integer".  Any
spaces or other delimiting characters would prevent validation .

2)  Using a delimited field would likely prevent future
readers/editors/presenters of the xml from being able to associate which
pieces of data are relevant to a particular page.

MIX, to the best of my knowledge, does not support multi-page tiffs as of
yet... therefore, if you wanted to include information on each page and create
valid xml, you may have to create a completely new "mix" node for each page.

Hope this was helpful,
keith