[email protected]

Monospaced Font

MODS Home

MODS  May 2003

MODS May 2003

Re: back to names

"Rebecca S. Guenther" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 May 2003 16:15:44 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Well, actually, we did include a <description> under <name> in MODS, which
is not in MARC or cataloging rules as such. In MODS we code birthdates as
<namepart type="date">. So this allows Bruce to put his additions in
<description> if he wants, but wouldn't affect the way someone who wants
to use full AACR2 to establish a name heading. In the latter case,
something like (Musical group) might be an integral part of the name that
is established as a controlled heading and is not given as a separate
element.

Rebecca