PCCTG1 May 2003

Notes from BIBCO OpCO

Jimmie Lundgren <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 May 2003 08:00:15 -0400

Dear SACO Task Group,
        Since I knew I would be too preoccupied to take good notes during my
report at BIBCO OpCo, I requested that the person sitting next to me share
her notes with us. Very fortunately, that person was Rebecca Malek-Wiley of
Tulane and I will paste below the notes she has sent me.
PCC Task Group on SACO Program Development - 1 May

Report by Jimmie Lundgren, University of Florida

[in these notes, bracketed notes marked "later" were from things said
informally after the meeting]

Task group has established schedule for discussion.  So far, have discussed:

        1.   Criteria for membership
        2.      Responsibilities
        3.      Mechanisms for contribution

Then will discuss:

        4.      Documentation
        5.      Training
        6.      Feedback

Then will attempt to stitch together useful proposals.

Have agreed that some mechanism must be retained so that non-members can
continue to contribute.  The thought of quotas is not dear to us, but we
have not ruled it out.  [later:  people have told them that if quota were
20, they would not meet it].  Also mindful of burden on PCC staff.

One very appealing idea:  use utilities as a mechanism for submission, along
with existing methods.  Would make possible saving, checking, tweaking,
revising - before submit to LC.  [later comment by Rebecca:  also would
facilitate inclusion of diacritics and special characters]

Questions:

How many people have personally proposed LCSH?

                        [about 10 people raised their hands]

Those who didn't:  what stopped you?

                It takes too long (clarified:  takes too long for the
heading to be established after it has been submitted)

                Led to discussion:

                John Mitchell:  Actually takes 3-4 weeks at most (Ana
Cristán:  we still tell people to allow 6 weeks); and is available as a
proposed heading by the end of the same day, overnight, or by 2nd day.

                Jimmie L.:  If you don't propose it, it takes even longer
(waiting for some one else to do so)

                Ana C.:  But there is still the perception that it takes too
long; the PR is not getting out

                Jimmie L.:  Some may think that takes too long to prepare?

                If you mean that, the tool of using the utilities could
help.

                Sherman Clarke:  My early perception was that for some
proposals, it takes too long to gather the information; but wide variation -
straightforward ones are easy, e.g., <topic> in art

                Jimmie L.:  Geographic headings:  if it is in GNIS, can be
really quick; if not, can take a long time

If you have submitted a proposal:  What things about the SACO process helped
you?

                Web form

                (though later during the meeting some limitations were
referred to:  cannot freeze a draft, get back to it; may end up doing a lot
of re-keying)

                Workshops - training

                1 example:  Bill Garrison provided detailed examples of how
Univ. of Colorado goes through the process, fills out form, proposes
headings

[potentially helpful]:

                Anthony Franks:  Authority macros - LC has templates
in-house; macros could at least give you bare-bones authority record if you
submit proposal through utilities.

                Jimmie L.:  We haven't discussed specific macros, since we
all have different systems.  At Univ. of Florida, the local NOTIS system can
create local authority records [later:  using CLARR], but we can't export,
upload them.

                Using the utilities

                [later:  Jimmie L.:  We have had really good response from
OCLC.

                John Mitchell:  It could reduce fear of submitting directly
to LC, thinking that the record always needs to be perfect, if people could
submit to a utility as an intermediary, and could go back and revise
proposal]