PCCTG1 May 2003

Re: Next topic

Thompson A Yee <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 May 2003 08:10:14 -0400

There is already the SACO discussion list which is at <[log in to unmask]>
that could serve this purpose.  There hasn't been a great deal of actual
discussion about proposals on it, but it has the potential to be a great
vehicle for discussion if members use it.  The weekly list minutes
(Summary of Decisions) are routinely sent out on it.  This is an open
list but must be subscribed to by sending a name and email address to
David Williamson.

Tom

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/14/03 08:47PM >>>
I like Hugh's idea of having separate NACO and SACO lists for people
ask specific questions and seek support on difficult problem headings.
The PCC list could be used just for general news and announcements, as
Hugh noted that it primarily is currently now used.

I too think that training opportunities should be multipronged.
Utility-offered, offered at conferences, on the Web, printed manuals,
having someone come to your institution if you desire, mentorships,
etc.
should all be part of our training arsenal.  Perhaps the PCC Standing
Committee on Training needs to have subcommittees or task groups
specifically devoted to training for each of the PCC programs?
Revising
documentation and keeping it current is an imperative.

Adam

**************************************
* Adam L. Schiff                     *
* Principal Cataloger                *
* University of Washington Libraries *
* Box 352900                         *
* Seattle, WA 98195-2900             *
* (206) 543-8409                     *
* (206) 685-8782 fax                 *
**************************************

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Hugh Taylor wrote:

> I've been to "our" west coast for a meeting, so out of town for a
couple of
> days. From here to West Wales is 6 hours by train - not quite so far
as FL
> to CA, but far enough.
>
> Cambridge is an entirely self-taught SACO contributor. By which I
mean that,
> whilst we relied on long-distance help and support from other
contributors
> both here and in the US, as well as from Coop staff at LC, we've
never
> attended any formal training session. The same goes for some of the
other UK
> and Irish participants, but not all (so far as I'm aware).
>
> Personally, given institutional commitment and a staff that's willing
to sit
> down with documentation and to give apply care and attention to
their
> proposals, I think this is adequate. But it may not suit all needs,
and I
> readily accept that there are those who welcome the "comfort"
provided by
> having sat through a formal session. Equally, from the perspective of
those
> managing such a program, you can at least be sure that people have
been told
> things, if they've attended formal training.
>
> I'm assuming, if we develop our ideas to involve the utilities, that
they
> would accept responsibility for training and documentation in the use
of
> their systems, just as they do already with NACO.
>
> Are there issues specific to SACO training support, or are they just
the
> same ones as apply to all PCC programs? I'm inclined myself to think
the
> latter is true. So there's clearly need to take on board the work
being done
> by the Standing Committee on Training, and that committee's thinking
on
> training issues. (Previously I was on a NACO Continuing Education TG,
so I'm
> aware of the risk of reinventing the wheel at every opportunity...)
>
> Group training at ALA or wherever is all well and good, but
effectively
> rules out some contributors. And is the objective of those sessions
to train
> the practitioners, or to train those who will be training staff back
at
> their home institution? That's never been entirely clear to me.
Personally,
> I look forward to the development of Web-based training for all PCC
> programs. This is increasingly vital as PCC becomes ever more
international.
> Attending training in North America isn't possible for all of us
(even those
> resident in North America). And there are limits to the number of
overseas
> tours that Coop staff can undertake.
>
> Given that we're looking at turning what already exists into a more
"normal"
> program, for whom would training initially be developed? Potential
new
> members? Existing members who need refreshers and updates?
>
> Although I suspect I'm in a minority, I'd still be interested in a
> SACO-specific mailing list in which practitioners can ask each other
> questions. (Ditto for NACO.) Whatever the intention of the main PCC
list,
> it's never developed into a more general forum, being used mostly
for
> announcements and news. I believe we have more to learn from each
other than
> from training - however that training is delivered. We, the members,
are the
> program's most effective "training support". And if I send an
incorrect
> answer to someone's question on a "public" mailing list, then at
least
> others can put me right. If the correspondence takes place privately,
that's
> two institutions with wrong information, and nobody will ever
know...

> I would agree with Jimmie that feedback on proposals from Coop and/or
CPSO