ARSCLIST June 2003

Re: Long-term/preservation audio

chris2 <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:33:07 -0400

Richard,

First, I have to say that I have no interest in arguing analog vs.
digital at all, and that is not my intention here. The issue is too
complex to be so black and white. Criteria for proper choice of format
should be dictated by the
ability to meet preservation goals and objectives of the collection or
institution. Having said that I have to say that I disagree with your
statement. Use of the term "Permanent digital collection" is a bit
misleading. Where does the assumption of permanence come from? Digital
archives need an infrastructure to support them and proper maintenance
and upkeep. Not every institution has the hardware or IT knowledge to
support a digital archive. Sure, you may not need an IT department, but
you need, at very least, easy access to someone with significant
understanding and working knowledge of IT and digital file storage and
access. Maybe hard drives are getting cheap, but digital preservation
does not consist of finding the cheapest hard drive available to store
files on. What about initial and ongoing media and data integrity
checks? These are not things to take lightly and not things that a cheap
terabyte drive offers. What about metadata specifications, storage and
access? What about a migration plan? There has to be policies and
guidelines in place. Yes, digital archives are a current possibility and
are actual reality at this point, but they are only an appropriate
choice if you have the right people, knowledge and systems in place. It
is certainly too harsh and simplistic to say that someone who chooses
open reel tape is being "Financially irresponsible".
In regard to access in 100 years, based on the playback mechanism, I'll
take the open reel deck in a bet. If you can wrap wire around a chunk of
iron and move the tape at a constant speed you can get the data off and
recover something useful from tape. Simple mechanisms and systems that
can be easily reconstructed beat complex ones.
The chances of being able to build a machine from scratch in 100 years
that can play analog tape is much greater than being able to build a
computer, operating system and drive mechanism that can access a CD and
then play back the file format stored on the CD. If obsolescence is an
issue in the analog domain, it's a crisis in the digital domain. Look at
the rapid changing of technology in the digital domain just over the
past years. How much data do you think has been lost and is stranded on
obsolete computers, operating systems and media? There may be more CD
players than open reel decks that have entered into the market, but that
is only part of the equation. After you have a drive mechanism, computer
and operating system there are many more complexities. First, are we
talking about a data CD or audio CD? If it's a data CD, how is it
formatted and what is the file system? Is it a CD-R or CD-RW? 650 MB or
700 MB? What is the file format of the data on the CD? What is the bit
stream encoding method, sample rate and bit depth? Is there a container
or wrapper involved? Is the metadata stored internally or externally and
in what format? How many CDs is the data split over and what is the
consistency of metadata between them.
I really say all this to demonstrate the inherent complexities in
digital storage, and this is only scratching the surface. My description
of tape is also an oversimplification to some extent, but I'm just
trying to make a point. Truly, chances are that future archivists and
librarians will be confronted with a lot of WAVE and PCM data and will
be able to fairly easily interpret this data. This implies many things
though that can not easily be glossed over. Also, while Jerome Hartke
gives good input on CDs, CD may not truly present the best option to
many institutions and can not so easily be given credit as the best
stopgap before digital archives are available to the "average archive".
Depending on the goals and objectives (preservation, interim storage
medium, access) there may be other viable options beside CD. The
decision of preservation/destination formats is a big one and worthy of
careful consideration, particularly for larger collections. There is no
right or wrong answer at this stage in the game. It's not about if a
Macintosh or PC is better. It's about which tool is right for the job.
That's my .02.

Chris Lacinak