PCCTG1 June 2003

Re: Input for report

Lori Robare <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:08:48 -0700

TEXT/PLAIN

Hi Jimmie,

Here are my answers:

> 1. To make SACO more consistent with other elements of the PCC, a letter
> asking for a written commitment to following LC policies, etc. for subject
> contributions should be sent by the PCC to those libraries who are
> particpants in SACO or other parts of the PCC?
> _X__ YES
> ___ NO
>
> 2. Can you get behind the idea of a goal of 5 records each year for
> libraries that make a commitment to joining the SACO program as members?
> This is in the context of other libraries and librarians continuing to have
> the option of contributing without that commitment.
> _X__ YES
> ___ NO
>
> 3. Do you think we need a separate list of SACO libraries for the utilities
> to enable subject authority work in the utilities, or will it serve
> satisfactorily to expand the capability of those already authorized for
> NACO?
> _X__Separate list required
> ___Use NACO list

As others have noted, some SACO participants aren't involved in other
components of the PCC.  We started out as SACO and then moved on to NACO,
BIBCO, & CONSER.

> 4. As part of the contribution of LC do you want provision of resources such
> as Catalogers Desktop or print versions of SCM and LCSH to be provided to
> those libraries who make a written commitment to be SACO members?
> _X?__YES (Which resource(s)?
> _print copies of SACO participants manual & SCM might be reasonable_)
> ___NO

I have mixed feelings about this, and almost voted NO because I don't
think it's an essential part of having a strong SACO program.  I think it
could be a logistical nightmare for LC to have to monitor who qualifies
for ongoing free access to their electronic products like Cataloger's
Desktop and Classification Web.  Frankly, I'd rather have LC staff time
and energy focused on consulting and the editorial process (I know it's
different people, different area, but still...)

Print copies of the SACO participants manual would be a very nice benefit
of membership and help people do better proposals.  Print copy of the SCM
too?  Maybe.  I kind of think it's the responsibility of anyone doing
cataloging using LCSH to have access to the SCM and to LCSH, not the
responsibility of the program to provide that access.

- Lori

Lori Robare
Catalog Librarian
University of Oregon