ARSCLIST July 2003

Correspondence with Lawrence Lessig

Frank Forman <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:22:24 -0400

text/plain

So does anyone know of an article that lays out the basics of copyrights
in old sound recordings?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 20:19:50 -0500 (CDT)
From: Premise Checker <[log in to unmask]>
To: Lawrence Lessig <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: COPYRIGHT, CONGRESS, DUE DILIGENCE, AND COASE

Thanks for your answer, and I'm going to send it to the ARSC list and my
own list of music lovers in hopes that someone can supply an article about
old recordings that will give you the basics. The _ARSC Journal_ regularly
features a column about copyright issues, but it is probably only a small
part of your larger concerns, however great it may loom in our minds.

I still protest the mere $1 fee and hope you replace it with $500 or
$1000. Here's why: a handy idea was described by the economist Thomas
Schelling in his _The Strategy of Conflict_ (Oxford UP, 1963) and that was
about how strategies could be coordinated in the absence of
communication. The idea is that if everyone chooses the same solution all
would get a prize. If they did not agree unanimously, no one
would. Schelling gave examples. Where to meet in the world? The North
Pole. When to meet during the day? Noon. When to meet during the
year? January 1st. Where to meet in New York City? His respondents
gravitated to Grand Central Station, but they were academics used to
travel to conferences. Where to meet in Washington, D.C. (my
question)? Alas, it could be the Capitol, the Washington Monument, or the
White House. Too many "obvious" choices, and I doubt the prize would be
collected.

You get the idea, but Schelling had another twist. If communication were
allowed, there is a good chance that the first proposal would become the
"Schelling point," as it was called by my former professor, Gordon
Tullock. Googling the phrase, you get 131 hits.

I strongly fear that the $1 figure would become a Schelling point and it
couldn't get raised. The big copyright holders would, of course, rather
not pay the $1, but as the pressure mounts up to revise the copyright law,
thanks in large part to your own efforts, they will be quite happy to
routinely send in $1 to renew everything they have the copyright to. It
would cost them much more than that to fill out each renewal form. Yale
University Press apparently did just that, as I mentioned in my article.

You lawyers! I worked from 1969 to the end in 1984 at the Civil
Aeronautics Board, and there was always a feud between the economists and
the lawyers, about a hundred each out of 800 total employees. I once joked
to the librarian there that she ought to throw out all those useless legal
books and replace them with useful economics books. She told me that the
lawyers told her to throw out all the useless economics books!

What I observed as an economist is that lawyers measure things by how many
legal arguments they could count up for and against a proposed course of
action. What I would do was to come up with dollar estimates of the
various pros and cons and thus assign numerical weights. I did this once
for a hearing to determine which carrier would be awarded a Miami-London
route and was grilled for three hours by airline lawyers, none of whom
contested my calculations. But afterwards when the CAB economists and
lawyers met to discuss what to do next, the lawyers did accept my results
but they padded them with additional legal arguments of their own. They
invented something like six more arguments of their own. Since there were
only three for the contrary, the lawyers, whose say was final, went with
my recommendation.

My point is that a $1000 reregistration fee would result in a very great
number of works entering the public domain, since copyright holders would
really have to think hard about whether there is any real prospect of an
old work ever generating that much profit. I contend, from rather casual
reasoning, to be sure, that very few older works would be reregistered.

But if you allow $1 to become a Schelling point, you may very well get
your one "camel's nose under the tent," but the $1 might stick. The
difference is that you lawyers count camels' noses, while we economists
count dollars.

No, I'm not claiming economists have it all over lawyers, for you would
agree with King Solomon, "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is
beyond rubies" (Proverbs 31:10), while hardly any economists would. I
hope, though, that my economist's insights may be of use.

Frank Forman

On 2003-07-17, Lawrence Lessig opined [message unchanged below]:

> Thanks for the email, and I apologize for the delay in responding.
>
> This is a fascinating issue which I have not followed as carefully as I
> should (though I do know of the Capitol decision). Is there a useful
article
> written about these old recordings? I think we might be able to get a
> legislative response to this.
>
> Re the  $1 fee: It is certainly low. But remember the camel's nose under
the
> tent. We need to establish the principle about copyright renewals. We
can
> then set the appropriate price.
>
> Thanks again, and I am sorry again for the delay in responding.
>

> On 6/27/03 8:04 AM, "Premise Checker"
> wrote:
>
> > Dear Mr. Lessig,
> >
> > I am a great fan of yours and I love what you said about throwing out
your
> > Ayn Rand books in _Code_. I am a Recovered Objectivist, owing in part
> > your quip.
> >
> > I belong to the Association of Recorded Sound Collections and am
keenly
> > interested in getting old records onto the web. I have a collection of
> > 1000-2000 cassettes I inherited from a Huron, South Dakota school
teacher
> > of most of the Victor and Columbia 78 rpm albums of classical music.
They