ARSCLIST  July 2003

ARSCLIST July 2003

Re: Labeling Software

Miriam Meislik <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 27 Jul 2003 13:06:02 -0400

These are all excellent points are well.

I did consider using the manufacturers serial numbers, but I felt that over
time, this would be just one more thing to track. Since the project already has
a great deal of data associated with each disc, I really wanted something that
was easy, that I could pass to any graduate student/student assistant/volunteer
to do. Also, not everyone is able to read the manufacturer's numbers.  (Think
aging eyes here.)

My goal is to use hub labels that contain the information.  and to write nothing
on the face of the disc.  I have never been a fan of placing labels over the
entire surface of the disc and have been concerned about the damage that could
be caused by inks on the surface.  These discs are for access and are not the
masters.  They also need to be readily identifiable to make sure that
researchers who use them put them where they belong.

For another project, I have been using a Kaiser CD [R] Pen to mark CD R hubs .
These have been working okay, the problem I see with using marking pens is that,
well, personally, I have pretty illegible handwriting.  I can read what's there,
I wish others luck.   This is another reason why I prefer something that is
typed like a hub label.  No deciphering required.

Miriam

--
Miriam Meislik
Associate Archivist

http://www.library.pitt.edu/libraries/archives/archives.html
http://digital.library.pitt.edu/pittsburgh/index.html

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
--Steven Wright

When your mouth drops open, click the shutter
--Harold Feinstein, November 11, 2001

Photography does not create eternity. . . it embalms time,
rescuing it simply from its proper corruption.
--André Bazin (1918–1958)