ARSCLIST  July 2003

ARSCLIST July 2003

Re: Need Turntable advice for amateur archivist

Rod Stephens <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:53:06 -0700

O.K. Everybody seems to have their favorite TT, because of vested
interests, namely the purchase and use of the instrument.  All do the
job within given parameters or they wouldn't be in use.

At Family Theater, we've used three Esoteric ATEN turntables with
Stanton  500 MkII cartidges which have interchangable styli for playback
of both 78 and 33 1/3 standard grooves (2.3 mil and 3.0 mil for
"standard") and LP microgrooves (0.7 mil elliptical with 1.5 mil for
early LP's).  They have reproduced over 400 transcriptions for
digitizing flawlessly with no rumble (except for transcriptions that
were cut with low frequency already in the recording) and excellent
tracking including staying the course over bad digs and scratches.  The
strobe readout on the edge of the table is used constantly to check and
set true rotation speed with the minute pitch adjusting lever.

As to being "flimsy",  they all seem sturdy and weigh enough that I
would want to carry them any great distance.  They rotate at an even
speed per the strobe, so that is the best criteria, I would think.  The
Esoteric Ramses II that you've been thinking of is quite similar to the
ATEN, so it might do as good a job, and, of course, they all come with a
45 adapter.

I also use the Disk Doctor's Miracle Record Cleaner solution and brush
set to clean the disks before ever touching them with a stylus.  The
sound that I'm getting is as good as if the broadcast were "live" or so
people say.  The studio sound from the 40's and 50's was pretty
broadbanded, so even though Hi-Fi wasn't quite yet a catch word, the
literal envelope of sound technology had reached the limits of the human
ear.  So, it's a thrill to produce CD masters that are "as good as new".

I hope this has been of help.

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions